Bulldogs Women's Basketball Camps
Facilities & Directions
The venerable Romano Gymnasium has housed UMD men's basketball for over a half-century and women's basketball and volleyball for the past three-plus decades. Romano Gymnasium officially opened with a 73-72 men's basketball triumph against Gustavus Adolphus College on December 12, 1953.
A 2,759-seat facility opened in 1953, Romano Gymasium has certainly been a welcome home to the University of Minnesota Duluth volleyball team. Winning just 86 percent of all matches in the facility since 1977 (337-54 overall), the Bulldogs have thrived on the floor over the decade, posting a 104-15 record at home. UMD has also turned in eight perfect home records to date (including a 15-0 mark last fall) and have won at a clip of .750 or better on their home floor in 23 of the past 26 seasons.
The facility received an extensive $2 million upgrade following the 1986-87 season and another makeover three summers ago, was renamed in honor of the late Ralph Romano, UMD's Director of Intercollegiate Athletics from 1969 to 1983, in February 1988. A new hardfloor floor was installed in 2010, providing the Bulldogs with one of the newer playing surfaces in the conference.
The volleyball Bulldogs packed a record 2,441 fans into Romano Gymnasium on Nov. 1, 2011 to watch UMD do battle with arch NSIC-rival Concordia University-St. Paul, which shattered the previous largest turnout of 2,312 on Oct. 30, 2007 bewteen the same two squads. Romano Gym was also the site of the 2007 NCAA Division II North Central Regional Volleyball Tournament, the year UMD finished one game shy of the making the NCAA II Elite Eight, falling to the eventual-champion Concordia-St. Paul, in front of a crowd of nearly 1,800 fans.